See here for regular updates on this project, one of the 87 retrofits funded by the Technology Strategy Board in its Retrofit for the Future programme.
The primary aim of the programme is to provide a testing ground for innovation in low rise housing retrofit, all of the projects aim to achieve an 80% CO2 reduction against a baseline set by the TSB. The main features of our project are:
– 180mm high performance external wall insulation with external render
– new high performance windows by Jeld-Wen
– 450mm of insulation in the loft space
– replacement of the wet heating system with Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery and warm air heating from a heater battery
– a communal hot water cylinder and top up boiler housed in a small plant room at the end of the terrace
– a solar thermal system feeding the communal boiler
– a small PV array to top up the CO2 emission reductions to 80%
– each resident will get a hot-fill washing machine and dishwasher to maximise the use of the renewable hot water,and a display to tell them how much hot water is available at any time
– the project will be monitored by the EST to establish how successful it actually is against the project objectives.